2019-2020 School Year
Day: Wednesday MORNING
Frequency: One class per week
Time: 7:00 am - 8:00 am
Dates: Fall, August 14 - December 18, 2019 -- Spring, January 9 - May 22, 2020
Cost: Fall, $120 for the semester -- Spring, $130 for the semester
Deadline to register: Fall, July 31, 2019 -- Spring, December 19, 2019
How to Register:
Step 1: Email Mr. Gary Gaiffe at email@example.com for a 2019-2020 Chess Registration Form.
Step 2: Submit the 2019-2020 Triple A Online Registration Form.
Step 3: Pay fees directly to Mr. Gaiffe via cash, check or PayPal.
NOTE ABOUT PAYPAL: If using PayPal, please note in the comment field "Meridian AND Student Name."
Who is eligible to participate:
- All third through tenth grade students are eligible to participate.
- K - 2nd grade students who know how the pieces move are also encouraged to attend.
- Third through tenth grade students do not have to know how to play chess.
Beginning of the year:
- In the first two weeks, the class will be divided into groups. The beginning students will be taught how to play, while more advanced students will be given chess challenges and instruction designed to further their growth.
End of the year:
- Students will have learned the rules of chess, basic strategies, tactics, checkmating patterns and good sportsmanship.
- Students will be prepared to play in USCF-rated chess tournaments.
Meeting location and logistics:
- Class will begin at 7:00 am and end a few minutes before 8:00 am so that primary students can get to their class on time.
- Middle School students can attend until 8:20 am.
- Chess class is held in the primary cafeteria, which can be accessed through the courtyard gate that will be open from 6:55 am to 7:10 am.
Fall: 17 one-hour lessons
Spring: 19 one-hour lessons
Classes will not be held on the follow dates due to student holidays:
October 9, November 27 and March 18
How to Withdraw (or Program Change):
- To withdraw, please complete the Triple A Withdrawal Form.
- To change from one activity to another, please first withdraw from the activity your student is leaving. Then notify the Triple A Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org of the new activity you wish to enroll. There is no need to complete another registration form.