Here's more information about Meridian's 5 Year Anniversary Celebration:
(Order your commemorative t-shirt here!)
Leading up to April 29, students are encouraged to color a Monarch butterfly to have on display at the school. Print one here! The goal is for every student, teacher, and staff member to be represented in a beautiful kaleidoscope. (Yes, kaleidoscope is the term for a group of butterflies!)
Later that day families are invited back to school for a very special viewing of the award-winning documentary, Flight of the Butterflies.
6:00 - Event Starts on the Playground
- Enjoy a family picnic! (Pack your own or purchase from *TBD*)
- Listen to live music from Midnight Butterfly!
- Have a Monarch painted on your face by our talented secondary art students!
- Check out Meridian's Certified Monarch Waystation -- maybe you'll spot a caterpillar!
- And of course, visit with old friends and make new ones!
8:00 - Showtime!
- Grab some popcorn! (fundraiser for 8th Grade Heifer International trip)
- Enjoy the show!
About the movie:
It’s a natural history epic. It’s a compelling detective story. It’s a scientific adventure at its best. It took Dr. Fred Urquhart almost 40 years to discover the monarch butterflies' secret hideaway and prove the most incredible migration on Earth. Following the year-long annual migration cycle of the butterflies, the award-winning production team filmed hundreds of millions of monarchs in their remote overwintering sanctuaries in Mexico in 2011 and again in 2012 and also along their migratory routes from Canada, across the U.S. and into Mexico. You'll be immersed in the astounding migration experience as two generations of the butterflies migrate north and then a Super Generation miraculously finds its way from Canada to a few isolated mountaintops in Mexico – to a place it has never been!