About Model UN (MUN)
(except leading into 3-day weekends)
Virtual during Fall Semester
Model United Nations is Meridian's most popular club ─ and for good reasons! It gives students the opportunity to practice research, speech-writing, debate, presentation and diplomacy skills while learning about today's global issues. With conferences throughout the state, students have the opportunity to travel and network with students with similar interests. Plus, Model United Nations is always impressive on a college resume!
- Interested students must become members each school year. Please see Membership Requirements below.
- Students should attend most meetings.
- Students are required to attend at least one conference per school year. See Conferences.
- Time outside of meetings and conferences is required for students to prepare for conferences.
- Model United Nations falls under "No Pass. No Play." Students must maintain eligibility to participate. See Eligibility.
Annual Membership Requirements (for new AND returning members)
*******Annual Membership Registration will be open 9/2/21 - 10PM on 9/10/21.******
No late registrations will be accepted for students enrolled in Meridian during the registration window.
- Make sure your student is in good financial standing with the school. Please log in to your MySchoolBucks account and pay all past due invoices by September 10, 2021.
- Read through this Model United Nations web section carefully.
- Each student and their parent/guardian must attend the Mandatory Meeting on [TBD} via webinar.
- Students and/or parents/guardians who have an unavoidable schedule conflict and cannot attend the Mandatory Meeting via Zoom must watch this recording [coming after live webinar] prior to registering for the 2021-2022 Model UN year.
- Parent/guardian and student read "Terms for Participation."
- Complete the annual registration form and pay the annual $50 nonrefundable membership fee via MySchoolBucks by 10pm on Friday, 9/10.
- No late registration for Model UN Membership for students who are enrolled at Meridian during the registration window.
Conference Participation Fees
Conference participation fees will be invoiced by MySchoolBucks. If you have not already done so, please set up your MySchoolBucks account. Invoices for your 2021-2022 Model UN Membership Fee and Conference Participation Fees will appear in your MySchoolBucks account.
For each conference, a total estimated amount will be provided (see Conferences). For those conferences that require travel expenses, there will be a Conference Participation Fee Deposit and a Conference Participation Fee Balance. The Conference Participation Fee Balance will include travel expenses as well as the MySchoolBucks transaction fee for the total participation fee for that conference. (The MySchoolBucks transaction fee is 3.95%.)
Meridian wants all interested and eligible students to be able to participate in MUN conferences whenever possible. Some conferences offer financial aid, and in some situations, Meridian is able to offer financial assistance to those who qualify. To inquire about financial assistance for Model UN conference participation fees, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, Please include in your subject line: "MUN [insert conference name] financial assistance."
Conference Uniform/Dress Code
The Model UN Uniform
Frequently Asked Questions
What forms of communication are used to keep members and parents informed about Model UN happenings?
Can Model United Nation Members letter (earn a letter jacket and Model UN patch)?
What if my student has dietary restrictions?
- Students in 6th-12th grades are expected to know their own dietary restrictions, check labels and advocate for themselves. However, if a student needs special meals while traveling for a conference, parents/guardians should pack those meals for day-trip conferences or contact that hosting facility for longer conferences to arrange special meals. Model United Nations sponsors and chaperones are not responsible for coordinating special meals or the delivery of special meals.