2022-2023 Dance Team
*****Subject to Change******
Updated as of 5/31/22
Please check back on 8/9 for the finalized details for the 2022-2023 Dance Team season.
Registration opens Tuesday, 8/9 and closes at 9 PM on Tuesday, 8/16.
As of 8/10, you can check the status of your registration here.
About 2022-2023 Fierce Dance Team:
Meridian's Dance Team, "Fierce" will enjoy its fifth year in 2022-2023. This will be our first competitive season since pre-COVID. Because this will be our first season back in competitions, there will be no officers this year.
Fierce Dance Team will be comprised of experienced 7th-12th grade dancers.
This year's Fierce Dance Team will learn and perform three routines --` Novelty, Pom, and Hip-Hop.
Fierce performs at Meridian pep rallies, home basketball games and two local dance team competitions (entered into Junior Varsity competitions). There are no overnight trips needed to participate in competitions. Participants may also choose to compete in solo contests at those same competitions for an additional participation fee.
Tryouts for the Fierce Dance Team are required, and there is mandatory participation in Pre-Tryout Practices in order for candidates to learn the compulsory routine to be performed during tryouts. Student athletes must be registered for 2022-2023 Dance Team and be physically eligible to participate in Pre-Tryout Practices and Tryouts.
- Tu, 8/23, 4:15-5:30 PM in Mays Aux - Mandatory Pre-Tryout Practice: Learn the compulsory routine for tryouts
- Th, 8/25, 4:15-5:30 PM in Mays Aux - Practice the compulsory routine for tryouts
- Sat., 8/27, 12:00-1:00 PM in Primary Building Gym - Tryouts. Please arrive at 11:45 AM.
Fierce Dance Team members will be loaned two dance tops and three pom poms. All additional uniform components will need to be provided by the student athlete. Student athletes will also be provided with a Meridian Dance Team spirit wear T-shirt, which they will be able to keep.
All eligibility requirements pertain, including Physical Eligibility, Academy Eligibility (No Pass No Play). Financial Eligibility and Character Good Standing Eligibility. Learn more about eligibility here.
Tu, 8/9 - Registration opens
Tu, 8/16 - Registration closes at 9:00 PM
Tu, 8/16 - Physical forms due
Tu, 8/23 - Mandatory Pre-Tryout Practice (4:15-5:30 PM) in the Mays Aux Gym
Th, 8/25 - Mandatory Pre-Tryout Practice (4:15-5:43 PM) in the Mays Aux Gym
Sat, 8/27 - Tryouts (12:00-1:00 PM in Primary Building Gym)
Sat., 8/27 - Team announced here by Tryout Number by 4:00 PM
M, 8/29 - Invoices for participation fees sent to parents/guardians via MySchoolBucks.
W, 8/31 - Invoices due via MySchoolBucks.
TBD - Kickoff meeting via Zoom from 6:00-7:00 PM
Tu, 9/6 - Practices start
W, 1/5 - Halfway Point
F, 1/13 - Homecoming Pep Rally and Homecoming Game
Fri., 2/3 and Sat.,2/4 - "Winter Dance Classic" Competition hosted by Leander HS
Sat,2/25 - Vista Ridge Dance Championship Competition by Vista Ridge HS (tentative date)
Tu, 2/28 - Last practice (if Vista Ridge is 2/2)
Before Spring Break - End of Season Social
$50 Registration Fee +
$___Participation Fee (coming 8/9), which includes:
- 2 performance tops (loaned)
- 3 pom poms (loaned) - one of each color: red, silver, and black
- 1 Meridian Dance Team spirit wear shirt (keeper)
- Weekly practices on Tuesdays plus up to five 2-hour practices on Saturdays and one 4-hour hip hop choreography session
- 2 Dance Team competition entries
Minimum Recommended Skills
Participants should be able to master the following skills by the first performance, which is scheduled to be a home Basketball game in December:
Overall Dance Technique/Style
- Dancers must be familiar with all ballet positions of the feet and arms.
- Dancers must be knowledgeable of transition steps (chasse, pas de bourree, ball changes, etc.)
- Dancers must be working on being a stylized dancer
- Dancers must be familiar with multiple styles of dance: Jazz, Contemporary, Hip Hop, etc.
- Dancers must have a clear sense of control and awareness of body placement
- Clean single pirouette
- Chaines (R/L)
- Need to have turns on R and L with correct technique
- Jete (brush leap)
- Working towards kicks that are shoulder height with straight knees and pointed ankles and toes
- Working towards flat on R and L
- Each candidate for 2022-23 Fierce Dance Team is required to attend both Pre-Tryouts practices (unless excused in advance by a coach) so that they will learn the compulsory routine for Tryouts.
- Tu, 8/23 - Mandatory Pre-Tryout Practice (4:15-5:30 PM) in the Mays Aux Gym
- Th, 8/25 - Mandatory Pre-Tryout Practice (4:15-5:43 PM) in the Mays Aux Gym
- Tryouts = Saturday, 8/27: 12:00-1:00 PM, in the Primary Building Gym
- A minimum number of 10 qualified dancers is required to form this team.
- Tryouts are closed to parents/guardians and spectators.
- Tuesdays, 4:15-5:45 PM, Mays Aux, starting 9/6/22 - 2/28/23
- No practices on: 10/11, 11/22, 12/20, 12/27, 1/3
- 10/22 - 9:00-11:00 AM in Mays
- 12/3 - 9:00 -11:00 AM in Mays
- 1/7 - 9:00 - 11:00 AM in Mays
- 1/21 - 9:00 - 11:00 AM in Mays
- 2/18 - 9:00 - 11:00 AM in Mays
- TBD - Hip Hop Choreography (date available in August)
Practice Limits: Fierce Dance Team competes at the Junior Varsity level. Therefore, on the weeks with Saturday practices, the team will practice as much as 4.5 hours.
- One Basketball Game in December
- 1/13 - Homecoming Pep Rally & Homecoming Basketball Game
- Sat, 1/28 or 2/4 - "Winter Dance Classic" Competition hosted by Leander HS (tentative date)
- Sat,2/25 - Vista Ridge Dance Championship Competition by Vista Ridge HS (tentative date)
Uniforms & Equipment Needs:
- The school will issue the student two performance uniform tops (Dance Team) and poms.
- Each member is held responsible for the care and return of items issued and will be responsible to pay for any items lost or damaged while in their possession.
- Members may not wear the group's uniform/costume unless the sponsors designate. The uniform/costume should be respected at all times and not shared with non-members of the organization.
- Members may not eat or drink anything other than water in uniform.
- Members must hand wash their uniform according to instructions given by the coach after each performance/event.
- Please find the Dance Team Uniform Loan Agreement, with replacement pricing here
- Dance Items to be purchased by student athletes
Basketball Game Performances
Members of the Fierce Dance Team who perform during a home Basketball game may stay for the balance of the game(s) IF the parent/guardian emails the coach prior to the performance granting permission for their child to remain at the game(s) without coach or parent/guardian supervision.
Lettering is an honor reserved for Varsity teams. For Fierce Dance Team, lettering is reserved for Officers, who compete at the Varsity level in dance competitions. Fierce Dance Team competes in Junior Varsity competitions. Because there will not be Officers this year, lettering will not be available for High School Dance Team participants this year.
- Registration will be open 8/9 through 9:00 PM on 8/16.
- No late registration will be available for students enrolled in Meridian during the registration window.
- A minimum of 10 students is required for this team to form.
- Parents/guardians of students who enroll in Meridian School after 8/16 and whose students would like to participate on the Fierce Dance Team should contact [email protected] to request registration for newly enrolled students. Tryouts will be scheduled for newly enrolled Meridian students. Newly enrolled students will have to work independently and outside from regular team practices to make up missed time and to learn the routines by watching video.