After School 6th-12th
After School 6th-12th
(Formerly known as "Study Hall")
The safe place for middle school and high school students
to hang out and socialize from dismissal until 5:45pm.
For those who cannot be picked up at dismissal
or those who need a place to be before or after their extracurricular activity.
**Register NOW for the 2018-2019 School Year**
Review the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information.
HOW TO REGISTER
Step 1: Click on the "After School 6th-12th Commitment Fee MySchoolBucks PAY" button.
Step 2: Fill in the form on the button, which require that you:
- Select your student.
- Enter your student's grade.
- Enter your student's email address. (The common formula for Meridian student email addresses is: email@example.com.)
- Enter the parent's name.
- Enter the parent's email address.
- Enter other email addresses (to be separated by commas).
- Press "Purchase."
Step 3: Email the Director of Student Enrichment Services to inform her that you have completed this step: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The After School 6th-12th commitment fee for the 2018-2019 school year is PER STUDENT for the entire school year. Be sure to submit payment for EACH SECONDARY STUDENT who needs to participate in After School 6th-12th. Even occasional users need to register.
Use the MySchoolBucks "Pay" button below to pay the $55 commitment fee PER SECONDARY STUDENT. The link will not allow multiple commitment fees. All commitment fees are required through MySchoolBucks. Please do not send/bring checks or cash to the school.
We will use the email addresses provided in MySchoolBucks to contact you regarding After School 6th-12th.
LATE PICK UP
LATE PICK UP from After School 6th-12th may result in withdrawal from After School 6th-12th.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who should sign-up to participate in After School 6th-12th?
- 6th-12th grade students who cannot be picked up at the 4:00/1:30 dismissal and NEED a safe place to be during after school time while they wait to be picked up for the day.
- Students may also use After School 6th-12th while they wait for their extracurricular activity to start or after their activity ends for the day while they wait to be picked up.
- Even occasional users need to register.
- After School 6th-12th is the designated place for secondary students to hang out before, after and instead of extracurricular activities. It ends at 5:45pm. All students must be picked up by 5:45pm.
- After School 6th-12th is designed for all 6th-12th grade students who cannot or are not picked up in carline during dismissal and do not have somewhere else on campus to be with a coach, teacher or club sponsor by 4:20pm (1:50pm on Wednesdays). It is also where students would go immediately after their after school activity concludes (if by 5:45pm) to be picked up by their parent/guardian. (For activities that conclude after 5:45pm, secondary students are picked up outside between the Mays and Primary Buildings.)
Why was the title changed from Study Hall to After School 6th-12th?
- Students are not required to study during After School 6th-12th. After School 6th-12th is designed to be a safe place for students to socialize. There will be limited space in the library daily until 4:55 for those who need a quiet space to study.
Where is After School 6th-12th located?
- The students are supervised by Meridian staff in the Mays Building Cafeteria.
What happens after dismissal and how does After School 6th-12th fit in?
- Immediately after school day dismissal and collecting personal belongings from their lockers, all 6th-12th grade students are either to report to:
- their designated carline to be picked up
- after school tutorials, their coach or the sponsor of their club or extra-curricular activity (assuming it starts immediately after school),
- or directly to After School 6th-12th in the Mays Cafeteria and sign in with the staff on duty.
- All 6th-12th grade students should be where they belong by 4:20pm (or 1:50pm on Wednesdays). Students are not to wander the campus after 4:20pm.
What if my student has a meeting, practice or game (or other activity) at the school that starts after 4:20pm?
- For meetings, practices and games, and other activities that begin after 4:20pm (1:50pm on Wednesdays), but before 5:45pm, 6th-12th grade students can either:
- Wait in After School 6th-12th until the coach, teacher, or club sponsor signs them out for that scheduled activity
- Be picked up in carline and brought back to school at the start time of the activity
- Or be picked up after 4:30pm (2:00pm on Wednesdays) in After School 6th-12th (in the Mays Cafe) and then brought back to the school at the start time of the activity.
- Students are not to be left unsupervised on campus. They must either wait in After School 6th-12th until signed out by a parent/guardian, teacher, coach or club sponsor, or they must be picked up by a parent/guardian and returned at the start time (or up to 10 minutes before the start time) for that activity.
- Sports coaches will not be on campus more than 10 minutes prior to the start of a practice or 30 minutes prior to the start of a game.
What happens if my student is not registered but is not picked up on time (car line and/or extracurricular)?
- For regular after school pick up time: Students not picked up after the after school car line ends will be escorted to After School 6th-12th and given a one-time pass to attend without registering. The next occurrence will require registration.
- For students who participate in extracurricular activities: Parents should discuss the pick up plan with their student in advance and communicate the plan with the extracurricular leader. Students not picked up immediately after their extracurricular activity ends will be escorted to After School 6th-12th and given a one-time pass to attend without registering. Parents may wait in the cafe for their student’s activity to end.
How much does it cost to register?
- The After School 6th-12th commitment fee is $55 for the 2018-2019 school year PER STUDENT for the entire school year.
What is the deadline to register?
- There is no deadline to register. We ask families to register as soon as possible so that we can plan. However, students will be able to register throughout the school year. Families must pay the commitment fee anytime before you need to start using the service.
Why is registration required?
- We are always working to enhance systems at Meridian to ensure our students are safe and our staff feel appreciated. During the school year 2017-2018, families were expected to submit a registration form but most did not leaving the staff with less than adequate information to provide the safest environment. The commitment fee will allow for a more solid commitment so that we can plan and communicate more efficiently.
- We are introducing a commitment fee for secondary after school time so that we:
- Have a list of names and grades of students who need a safe place to wait to be picked up for the day or while they wait for their extracurricular activity to start.
- Know the maximum number of students to expect.
- Hire an appropriate number of staff.
- Help parents and students consider their after school needs in advance.
- Have less students wandering the halls without supervision during after school time.
- Have some income to help cover the costs for after school staff.
Why is MySchoolBucks used for registration?
- Meridian School is actively working to transition all student/parent points of sale under MySchoolBucks. Doing so will allow the school the ability to more effectively monitor the financial standing of each student. Additionally, using one system allows parents an easier and more familiar purchasing and enrichment registration experience.
Are students allowed to use cell phones?
- Yes. Middle and high school students may use their cell phone in After School 6th-12th for educational or recreational purposes as long as they do not take photos or video, cyberbully, view inappropriate material (violence, weapons, drugs, alcohol, profanity, obscenity), or otherwise use the phone in an inappropriate manner.
Will students have access to computers?
- Yes. Students who need to borrow a Meridian Chromebook for homework will have priority over those who want to play games. Students may use a computer in After School 6th-12th for educational or recreational purposes as long as they do not take photos or video, cyberbully, view inappropriate material (violence, weapons, drugs, alcohol, profanity, obscenity), or otherwise use the computer in an inappropriate manner.
What is the pick up process?
- Pick up from After School 6th-12th starts at 4:30 M-T-Th-F and 2pm on Wednesdays. Parents are expected to walk into the Mays building cafe via the south side of the building, not the lobby, and sign out their student. For security purposes, the exterior cafeteria door will remain locked. A staff member/adult is required to open the door for visitors to enter the cafe. Students will not be allowed to walk out unless they are being escorted by their extracurricular leader. After school monitors do not have a list of adults authorized to pick-up students in grades 6th-12th. The students are responsible for identifying their authorized adult. If there is a specific adult that is not allowed to pick up your student, parents must provide the name in writing to the school, including when necessary a divorce decree or legal document.
Can students sign themselves out to participate in extracurricular activities?
- For activities that begin immediately at school dismissal, students should walk directly to the location of the activity. For activities that do not start immediately at school dismissal, the facilitator/coach will either pick up the students from After School 6th-12th or arrange a plan with the After School 6th-12th monitor for ensuring the students transition to their activity.
- If there is a special situation for which you would like your child to be released to attend on a particular date (such as being a spectator in a Meridian athletic game), please email Lisa Powers IN ADVANCE (email@example.com) to inform her.
Are students allowed to hang out on campus rather than participate in After School 6th-12th?
- High school students are allowed to wait outdoors to be picked up for up to 15 minutes near the Mays or Primary building entrance (without a Meridian staff member). After 15 minutes, the student will be escorted to After School 6th-12th and given a one-time pass to attend without registering. The next occurrence will require registration. Middle school students are not allowed to hang out unsupervised. No students are allowed to hang out in any of the school's lobbies or outside the high school entrance.